Re: No sound at boot

Take a look in /etc/modules-load.d - you can add a file called, say,
"sound.conf" there with the contents:

snd-hda-intel

That should load that module on boot. I haven't tested it, as I've
never had the need to force a module to load in recent years, but it
should work.

Didn't work.  Nor did adding snd-hda-intel line to /etc/modules.

Any more suggestions?  I'm running Jessie. Have been since Jessie was
testing, about three months after the release of Wheezy.  So it's seen a
lot of changes, the biggest of which was the transition from sysvinit to
systemd. I should have fixed it a lot sooner, but as long as I could fix
it by running modprobe, I wasn't in a big hurry.  Anyway, if this had
worked, it feels like a workaround, and isn't really getting to the
actual cause of the problem.  So, any more suggestions are welcome.

You can try to run alsactl init as root:
# alsactl init

Here's the output of that:

root@persephone:~# alsactl init
alsactl: sysfs_init:48: sysfs path '/sys' is invalid

Found hardware: "HDA-Intel" "Realtek ALC898" "HDA:10ec0899,10438547,00100003" "0x1043" "0x8547"
Hardware is initialized using a generic method

What does it mean sysfs path '/sys' is invalid?

MArk