Re: Running Debian with only 213MB Ram?

Hi.

On Sat, 23 May 2015 14:47:27 +0000
Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> On my old laptop I chose Openobex as window manager because Gnome is too heavy
> for it.  I get though:
>
> $ free -m
> Mem:           213        207          5          4         23        111
> -/+ buffers/cache:         73        140
> Swap:          952          0        952
>
> with just Openobex and Emacs and a couple of terminal emulators running, not
> else.  Do you think that is too little?

Your 'free -m' result cleary show that you have 140M free memory. I.e.
65% of your memory is free. Moreover, you managed to avoid using the
swap. An excellent result, if you ask me.

Also, see [1]. And BTW, it's openbox, not Openobex :)

>  Then maybe I should gave up hoping to
> use Debian on that machine, and look for - if any exists - other systems?

Why would you choose to do so? As long as overall performance
satisfies you - there's no need to change anything.

> Another thing: reading an old post of mine on Linux Debian Users mailing list,
> some years ago, the above command would show 216 as total Memory.  Is it
> possibile that it's decreased since then??

I have no idea of e-mail you're talking about, so no help from me here,
sorry.

[1] http://www.linuxatemyram.com/

Reco