Re: discuss debian 's attitude to ppa

On 05/23/2015 08:58 AM, mudongliang wrote:
> Yesterday I installed the LMDE(Linux Mint based Debian Jessie),which is
> a rolling release issued by Linux Mint!
> The installation is of no question! But when I want to install
> openyoudao from ppa , it returns me "not support ppa"!
>
> So I search it ! Although I don't find some real proof , but I can see
> one thing ! Maybe debian will not support ppa ,
> because in the talk of Neil McGovern, he says some weakness of ppa! And
> from the development of Debian ,
> ppa's development seems to be not able to ensure its stablity!
>
> What's your opinion?
> mudongliang

I don't know what openyoudao is but when running Debian it is highly
recommended not to mix repositories with Ubuntu or other linux
distributions. In your case you are not even running Debian but only
Debian based Mint (as far as I know though LMDE is Debian compatible in
the repository level).

That said you can try to install the .deb package with other ways (for
example using gdebi) but the main drawback (apart from any
inconsistencies already mentioned) is that the package won't be updated
with the rest of the system because apt/synaptic will not be able to do
this.

Regards
Dalios