Re: apt-get purge fails vs ssh -Y for root gfx

On Thursday 21 May 2015 07:11:00 Reco wrote:
>  Hi.
>
> On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 06:22:37AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
First problem solved. I had already done that and forgotten it.  Can I
blame it on oldtimers since I'm 80yo? ;-)

New version installed, a couple sessions with chmod, an edit
of /var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts & everything is happy.

> Apt is supposed to work with packages by their names, so it tries to
> purge a package that's literally called
> 'amanda-common_1%3a3.3.1-4_i386.deb'. And fails, since the actual
> package is called 'amanda-common'.

That also failed, because I had already done that 2-3 days ago.
> > I am currently "ssh -Y" into that box, and one of the display
> > managers or X is refusing to forward the graphics for an application
> > that must run as root, and the usual fixes are NOT working.
>
> 'apt-get install xauth' on target host solves it for me usually.
>
> > So, how do I fix this:
> > gene@shop:/var/cache/apt/archives$ sudo synaptic
> > X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> >
> > (synaptic:14317): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> > localhost:11.0
> >
> > graphical applications that do not run as root, work fine.
> >
> > Thanks for any help on this latter problem.
>
> 'sudo -E synaptic' should do the trick. Although it seems unnessessary
> to run synaptic as root as it should rely on PolicyKit to escalate
> privileges to root if it needs so.
>
> Reco

In my experience, synaptic has not done that.  However the -E option
(that I wasn't ever aware of) does let it run, thanks.

So this would appear to solve that if indeed policykit works.

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)