apt-get purge fails vs ssh -Y for root gfx

Greetings all;

2 problems.
Wheezy or wheezy derived installs on all 3 boxes on my local network,
which I am the only user of, and all behind a dd-wrt install on the
router, so I am not in the least worried about security related stuff.

Trying to apt-get purge the repos ancient amanda-common and amanda-client
packages from one of my boxes so I can install the correct debs from
that zmanda site.

I have been a week trying to make those ancient versions work with the
recommended stable version 3.3.7p1 installs on the other 2 boxes.

I am looking at the packages sitting in /var/cache/apt/archives, that
were installed by synaptic a week ago.

gene@shop:/var/cache/apt/archives$ ls|grep amanda
amanda-client_1%3a3.3.1-4_i386.deb
amanda-common_1%3a3.3.1-4_i386.deb

But a sudo apt-get purge amanda-common_* amanda-client_*
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package amanda-common_1%3a3.3.1-4_i386.deb
E: Couldn't find any package by
regex 'amanda-common_1%3a3.3.1-4_i386.deb'
E: Unable to locate package amanda-client_1%3a3.3.1-4_i386.deb
E: Couldn't find any package by
regex 'amanda-client_1%3a3.3.1-4_i386.deb'

Please tell me apt-get isn't losing its mind...

I am currently "ssh -Y" into that box, and one of the display managers or
X is refusing to forward the graphics for an application that must run
as root, and the usual fixes are NOT working.

So, how do I fix this:
gene@shop:/var/cache/apt/archives$ sudo synaptic

(synaptic:14317): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:11.0

graphical applications that do not run as root, work fine.

Thanks for any help on this latter problem.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)