Re: Wrong library versions (Solved)

On 05/16/2015 12:38 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2015-05-16 19:43 +0200, Gary Roach wrote:

I would put this on the freeCAD forum except I have been trying for
several days to get authorization to join without success. So:

The copy of freeCAD is version 0.14 on all versions of Debian. I'm
using jessie with amd64 software. I want to ppa the 0.15 version from
the freeCAD web site. Unfortunately, 0.15 requires libboost 1.54 but
jessie loads 1.55. Further, Debian has never used version 1.54 but
skipped from 1.4 something in wheezy to 1.55 in jessie. Is there an
way around this problem.
The ppa for Ubuntu 15.04 uses libboost 1.55 AFAICS.  However, the
packages there might depend on libraries which are newer than in Jessie.

I hate going off the official repository but the development of this
package is proceeding at a furious rate. It's basically an alpha
release but its the only game in town.

Any help will be seriously appreciated.
The best method is probably to build from source.  If that's too
involved for you and the binary packages from the Ubuntu 15.04 ppa don't
work, it should be possible to obtain libboost1.54 packages from
snapshot.debian.org.

Good luck,
Sven

Technically I guess I was wrong about the skip from 1.4? to 1.55 with nothing in between. But that still doesn't change the fact that the packages in between are readily available. Anyway, Sven's remark about Ubuntu 15.04 made me look at the launchpad page move carefully. If you click on "package detail" in the upper right corner and then click on "freecad-...........-ubuntu15.04.1" there is a "freecad_0.15.4671-1ppa1~ubuntu15.04.1_amd64.deb" package listed. I downloaded this an installed with dpkg -i . Everything works fine. This was really easy. I did not realize that the packages listed on the page were wrappers.

Thanks - everyone - for your help

Gary R