Re: out of the box wifi adapter

On Saturday 16 May 2015 06:09:51 Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> On 16/05/15 01:09, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Raymond Jennings wrote:
> >> I wound up buying a 100 foot cat5 cable and running it from the
> >> house to the trailer :P
> >
> > My perspective is that nothing is as reliable as hardline wire!  It
> > will be much more immune to radio noise trouble.  Speedy and
> > reliable.  Wire will almost always be my choice if possible.
> >
> > If you didn't think of http://www.monoprice.com/ for that 100 foot
> > cable let me make a mention of it here for the future.  I am a happy
> > customer of them.
> >

> > http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=105&cp_id=10208&cs_id=1020814
> >
> > Bob
>
> Beware: These cables tend to be prone to UV degradation; best to run
> them in some sort of conduit for use outdoors. Outdoor grade cable is
> available, though, as is armoured cable.

On the other side of this, I have 2 100 foot pieces of cat5, Belden's
bright blue stuff, strung across my back yard, one from the switch at my
router to a workshop/shed with 3 computers in it, and another from that
shed back to the garage where another old linux box lives.  The run from
the house to the shop is about 40 feet, and back to the garage is about
40 feet.  It has been blowing in the wind for something north of a
decade now, including 2 damaging windstorms, one of which was recorded
at 112 mph a block away back in 2010.  The blue is fading, but the
signal is rock solid on a 100 megabit circuit yet.  After the abuse its
been thru, I have no idea why its still working, but it is.
> --
> Tony van der Hoff  | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
> Ariège, France     |

Cheers, Gene Heskett