Re: About alternatives in stretch - testing.........

Charlie wrote:
> A question about alternatives in stretch:

> $ update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
> * 1 /usr/bin/chromium 40 manual mode
> In claws-mail press a URL and it opens in iceweasel.

Sounds like claws does not call x-www-browser but instead calls
iceweasel directly.  However I installed claws in order to test this
and for me it did call x-www-browser okay.  So I think it must be
calling x-www-browser okay.

>  	.1. Is the alternatives script not working or

Very likely the alternatives for x-www-browser are correct.  Did you
try it?  Please try it and check that it works.  Check that it returns
a non-zero exit code.

  $ x-www-browser
  $ echo $?

What starts?  Chromium?  Then your configuration is fine.  If not then
that is the problem.  But that is unlikely if your Testing is up to
date.  Does it return an exit code of 0 okay?

> 	.2. Is Claws mail not checking it

For me when I installed claws just now as a test, set x-www-browser to
chromium, and then clicked on a link to open in a web browser window
it opened chromium.  Therefore it isn't a systematic problem.  It must
be something in your environment.

> 	.3. Can I change this manually and if so where?

Almost certainly.  You did very good starting with the alternatives
for x-www-browser.  That's great.  I would start there too.  But since
it works for other people (me!) the problem must be something specific
to your environment.

Bob

P.S.

> 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt9-3 (2015-04-23) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Just for future reference but the 'uname -a' output showing kernel
version information isn't useful for much these days.  At one time it
was how we told if users were using BSD or HP-UX or Solaris or IBM AIX
or whatever.  But if you say you are using Debian Stretch then we know
you are actually using Debian Testing and that is good enough.  I
prefer to say Testing rather than a name because Stretch is only a
candidate and will change every day for the next two years until it is
finally released.  It doesn't stop changing until then.