Re: aptitude update errors for upgrade to Jessie on amd64

On Thursday 14 May 2015 10:20:23 Brian wrote:
> On Thu 14 May 2015 at 00:24:19 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Thursday 14 May 2015 00:05:44 Brian wrote:
> > > To clarify my second comment:
> > >
> > >   choose-mirror (2.62) unstable; urgency=medium
> > >     * Update Mirrors.masterlist
> > >     * This update includes adding httpredir.debian.org, which replaces
> > >       http.debian.net using debian.org servers.
> > >
> > >    -- Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org>  Tue, 14 Apr 2015 12:17:22
> > > +0200
> > >
> > > and
> > >
> > >    https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2015/04/msg00008.html
> >
> > Oh, I can change it now, I know.  And I may get round to doing so.
>
> The quote and the link were given to indicate that httpredir is now part
> of configuring the package manager in the Jessie installer, not to
> suggest altering sources.list after the install.
>
> > But it wasn't offered during the installation - and one has to choose a
> > mirror before it will move on.
>
> When a mirror country is chosen it includes httpredir.debian.org in the
> list of mirrors. Easily missed if one is not looking for it or its
> significance is not appreciated.

It must have been very near the bottom.  Last perhaps?  I read through the
list until I got to the one I wanted, which was very near the bottom.  But I
probably didn't read the one or two below it.  Still, if it is there, it
would be good if it were the default.  I always avoid the actual default
because it is so slow!  But the only way to learn that is the hard way.

> >                                  I think for Stretch they should just use
> > the redir and not offer the others.  It causes a delay in the
> > installation while it waits for the answer.  (Not much, I hasten to add.
> > The whole installation before I added a DE took 15 minutes.)
>
> It's a tempting idea but there is always the possibility the redirector
> is not reachable in spite of high availabilty being designed into it.
> It wouldn't go down well if other mirrors were not offered to complete
> installation.

Good point.  If the redirector is not permanently available, what is the point
of it?  One is surely better off with a fast, near, high availability mirror?
I suppose the answer is that newer mirrors might be even faster.

But it might be worth having the redirector as default.  (And I did look at
the default, so I am sure that it wasn't.)

Lisi