Re: Running cool and silent

Rusi Mody wrote:

> For some reason my Dell laptop runs hot and noisy in linux but cool and
> silent in Windows-8

looks like powermanagement to me. what does cpufreq-info says

example

analyzing CPU 3:
  driver: intel_pstate
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 3
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 3
  maximum transition latency: 0.97 ms.
  hardware limits: 800 MHz - 3.00 GHz
  available cpufreq governors: performance, powersave
  current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 3.00 GHz.
                  The governor "powersave" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 2.14 GHz (asserted by call to hardware).

last but not least cpufreq* drivers are loaded?