Re: newbie help request

Ed R wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've just installed debian 8.0 on a thinkpad t41 laptop. Installed w/ grub
> boot selected as this is only OS on system. All seemed to go well until
> reboot which failed due cache sync errors. Current symptons are I can't
> restart from the software as I see a "Kernel Panic - not syncing attempt
> to kill init exitcode=0x00000009.
>
> System will start with power on/off button.
>
> Are there utilities available to check my system?  Any advice/help
> appreciated.
>
> PS ( I tried searching debian docs, but didn't find help)

You can use the install CD or live cd/dvd or usb stick.

To me it looks like something is wrong with the initramdisk - read about it
to understand how it works. usually when it can not mount the rootfs and
run init

So as it is your first install you can try again. I would recommend to use
ubuntu and get familiar with debian the easy way.

To fix your problem you need to know grub and initramfs. It means also know
how init works and how disks/partitions etc are managed.

regards