Re: Resolver not working when network is up

Well I am conservative on the sysvinit stuff.
The more I read bout systemd the more fearsome it appears to me.

I guess eventually I won't have a choice to move towards it.
Great ideas go along with unjustifiable crap there.

Maybe systemd handles event-based stuff better?
---
B. R.

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 10:09 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
B.R. wrote:
> I managed to solve the problem with some help from debian IRC channel.

Great!  Glad to hear you have it solved.

> The problem lied in the /etc/network/interfaces, where my eth0 interface
> was set up with the 'allow-hotplug' directive.
> Still wondering why I ever did that... oO

Both 'auto' and 'allow-hotplug' should work.  The general movement by
the-powers-that-be are to move everything to the event driven hotplug
interfaces.  Therefore it *should* work.  But obviously the
synchronous boot time init is the one that has been traditionally used
and the most well tested.  The event driven interface is getting
rewritten and the default for Jessie just changed to it.  Basically
everything is different in the new Jessie using the defaults.

> In short, that allowed the interface to be declared 'mounted' while still
> unavailable. Services requiring the network to be up were then confused and
> reported heavy errors. nginx was one of those.
> Reverting to the standard 'auto' solved the problem and the dependency is
> now met.

Since this *should* work and you have a failing test case where it
does not I encourage you to file a bug report on it.  Unfortunately I
am not sure which package should get the bug.  Plus it depends upon
some other specifics of your configuration.  But I think it definitely
warrants getting a bug filed against it.

Bob