Re: Resolver not working when network is up

I managed to solve the problem with some help from debian IRC channel.

The problem lied in the /etc/network/interfaces, where my eth0 interface was set up with the 'allow-hotplug' directive.
Still wondering why I ever did that... oO

In short, that allowed the interface to be declared 'mounted' while still unavailable. Services requiring the network to be up were then confused and reported heavy errors. nginx was one of those.
Reverting to the standard 'auto' solved the problem and the dependency is now met.
---
B. R.

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 9:08 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
B.R. wrote:
> ​What​ could be the problem? How should I investigate this?

Just guessing...

In your nginx configuration are you specifying a resolver that is
different or unavailable?

  http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_core_module.html#resolver

Another guess but likely installing a local caching nameserver I think
would work around the problem, using 'nameserver 127.0.0.1' in the
/etc/resolv.conf file.

  apt-get install bind9

What version of debian are you running?

  cat /etc/debian_version