Re: Open ports

Christian Seiler wrote:
> Bill wrote:
> > what uses them and why shouldn't I close them?
> > (I'm assuming there must be a good reason to have wide open ports.)

It is debatable whether the old Sun RPC services should be installed
by default.  I do use and manage NFS but I wouldn't install it by
default on any machine not using it.  If you are not serving NFS then
you don't need it.  If you are serving NFS then it will get installed
as a matter of course.

> rpcbind is started from /etc/init.d/rpcbind. If you don't use NFS or NIS
> at all, you don't need to have that running. To disable it under Wheezy,
> use:
>
> update-rc.d rpcbind disable
>
> After that, it won't be started anymore at boot.

Instead of disabling it I am of the opinion that it should be removed
if it isn't going to be used.  If in the future someone were going to
set up an NFS server on the system then it can trivially be installed
again.  So easy to install that removing it instead of disabling it
seems like the better way to go in my opinion.  One less package that
might need a security upgrade at some point.  One less package on the
disk to manage.  Just simplify.

  # apt-get purge rcpbind

Bob