Re: Open ports

On 05/09/2015 01:25 PM, Bill wrote:
> I'm still running wheezy but noticed a couple of open ports the other
> day. This is just a simple laptop - no nfs access needed, no need for a
> networked port mapper, and certainly not a dns server.
>
> So why are they there,

Well, Debian's policy for daemons generally is that if they are
installed, they are enabled by default.

> what uses them and why shouldn't I close them?
> (I'm assuming there must be a good reason to have wide open ports.)
>>># netstat -nplt
> Active Internet connections (only servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address State
> PID/Program name
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:111             0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
> 1904/rpcbind
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:51062           0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
> 1935/rpc.statd

rpc.statd will be started unless you set NEED_STATD=no in
/etc/default/nfs-common. Since you said you don't use NFSv3, you can
safely do that.

rpcbind is started from /etc/init.d/rpcbind. If you don't use NFS or NIS
at all, you don't need to have that running. To disable it under Wheezy,
use:

update-rc.d rpcbind disable

After that, it won't be started anymore at boot.

Christian