ssh tunnels or openvpn/IPsec?

I have a VPS running Jessie, and would like to set up rsyslog to
forward log messages to another Jessie box at home. At the same time, I
want to set up a munin node and collectd also on the VPS, and grab data
from those.

Now the question becomes; AFAIK, I could do this with ssh tunnels and
forward the ports on my router/firewall, or I could use something like
openvpn or IPsec (strongswan). The problem is that I haven't really
messed with any of these before - what would be the best choice in this
situation?

Note that I'm not asking for a complete configuration, all I want is
some advice as to which of these technologies I should begin to read up
on. The IPsec article on the Debian wiki is from Sarge, so it is quite
outdated, but the openvpn article is recent and seems helpful.

Any insights/advice/links, etc?

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"