Re: Security updates for wheezy breaking my FAI-installation

On Monday 04 May 2015 12:31:27 Alexis wrote:
> Christian Seiler <christian@iwakd.de> writes:
> > I linked a wiki page in my previous email describing precisely
> > what wheezy-updates is (and it is NOT the regular security
> > update repository): https://wiki.debian.org/StableUpdates
>
> Yes, i read that:
>
> * Since it mentions things like updates to virus scanners, it
>   seemed
>   plausible to me that it was indeed the same repo. If, as you
>   assert, it's not, then i think it's concerning that there are
>   /two/ distinct repos one needs to enable in order to get all
>   relevant security updates.
>
> * The page doesn't explain if 'wheezy-updates' is distinct from
>   'wheezy-backports', and if so, again, why there are two repos
>   apparently addressing the same issue. (To wit, how to get more
>   recent versions of packages than were released with stable.)
>
> * The phrase "When a new package is made available via
>   wheezy-updates"
>   is ambiguous to me; it can be read as either "a new package
>   [that wasn't included in the initial release of wheezy]", or "a
>   new [version of a] package [that was included in the initial
>   release of wheezy]".
>
> So, no, from my perspective, that page does /not/ describe
> "precisely what wheezy-updates is".

Why not start with what a repo is?  That seems to be your problem.   Or
perhaps start with what a package is.  Then what the versions are.  Pwerhaps
what Debian is?

Backports and volatile (to use its old name for the sake of clarity) are
totally different.

Lisi