Re: [Debian 8.0 Installation] Firmware files on USB stick with debian iso

On Fri 01 May 2015 at 09:21:19 -0400, Stephen Allen wrote:

> On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 02:04:29PM +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> > The unofficial installer (netinst + non-free firmware) was put together
> > with the aim of avoiding having people drive a long way in the hot sun
> > or turning the house upside down looking for a network card. The choice
> > to use it exists.
>
> Indeed, which is what I had to use. All previous Debian installs, I
> was able to mount USB device and load needed firmware from it - The
> Jessie release is the only one so far that refused to see the external
> USB device. So, there is a problem with the installer as these reports
> would seem to suggest.

I've also not had the success I had with Wheezy when it comes to finding
and loading firmware for a wireless device. The method used changed
early on in the development cycle of the installer and I think the d-i
are aware of the problems. A point release might see them addressed.