Re: No HDMI-Sound anymore with onboard sound chip "Intel CougarPoint HDMI" after upgrading from Wheezy to Jessie

On 04/29/2015 06:23 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Wednesday 29 April 2015 21:19:33 mailing4362 wrote:
OK Ladies,

problem ist solved in the spirit of List:

"You can always uninstall things if they don't work."

Solution:

# apt-get remove pulseaudio pavucontrol

<Reboot computer>

$ alsamixer

unmute S/PDIF which was muted by pulseaudio.

Now, I am at least able to play videos _with sound_ again on my HDMI
connected TV, after switching Video out also to TV (with xrandr), like
it worked before with OD Wheezy.

Great. :-)  I'm pleased.

I thought you had already exhausted the possibilities of pulseaudio.

Bad pulseaudio
(hm, the author of that piece of software programmed also avahi
daemon and systemd...)

Don't  let's go there... :-/

Again, if alsa isn't set correctly pulse doesn't have a chance. This isn't news.

IF you have only one sound device, then you don't need pulse. But, if you have HDMI plus USB headphones with a builtin mike, and another sound source like a webcam mike, then pulse shines for switching between them on the fly. Alsa doesn't do that well. But, you must set alsamixer to ummute the audio devices you want to use first, then add pulse / pavucontrol which switches between them. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html