Re: [SOLVED] Re: Wheezy: making a bootable HD with Grub

% 	I decided to follow the path you suggested as it seemed the simplest and easiest
% 	for me to do. Here's what I did in case if anyone is trying to resolve a similar
% 	issue:
%
% 	0. Copy /boot and / partition data from the old drive to the new one
% 	1. Run "blkid"  to get patition UUIDs of old and new drives
% 	2. Edit /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.cfg and replace old partiion UUIDs with
% 	the respective new ones. What it did for me was that the system would now drop
% 	into the grub CLI -- which is a lot nicer -- instead of grub rescue CLI.
% 	3. Run the following in the grub CLI
% 	grub> set prefix=(hd0,msdos1)/grub
% 	grub> insmod normal
% 	grub> insmod linux
% 	grub> linux   (hd0,msdos1)/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64 root=/dev/sda2
% 	grub> initrd  (hd0,msdos1)/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64
% 	grub> boot
% 	4. The system now boots and is working
% 	5. # grub-install /dev/sda
% 	6. # update-grub
% 	7. Reboot the system, the system reboots and comes back just fine.
%
% 	There is one small issue that I'm not sure what to attribute to. The grub
% 	selection menu that's shown when the system boots now has different colors and
% 	kind of shifted to the left of the screen so a small part of it is cut of.
% 	Different resolution perhaps? It would be nice to fix it.

The issue has been resolved. The selection menu color/shift quirk went away once the HD was properly installed into the PC. Guess it was some kind of interference/poor connection thing.

Thanks to everyone who responded.