[SOLVED] Re: Wheezy: making a bootable HD with Grub

On Mon, 4/27/15, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

>  Not only is there  no TAB completion and command history but you have to
>  handle module loading yourself. 'insmod  normal' and 'insmod linux' are
>  needed.

I decided to follow the path you suggested as it seemed the simplest and easiest for me to do. Here's what I did in case if anyone is trying to resolve a similar issue:

0. Copy /boot and / partition data from the old drive to the new one
1. Run "blkid"  to get patition UUIDs of old and new drives
2. Edit /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.cfg and replace old partiion UUIDs with the respective new ones. What it did for me was that the system would now drop into the grub CLI -- which is a lot nicer -- instead of grub rescue CLI.
3. Run the following in the grub CLI
  grub> set prefix=(hd0,msdos1)/grub
  grub> insmod normal
  grub> insmod linux
  grub> linux   (hd0,msdos1)/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64 root=/dev/sda2
  grub> initrd  (hd0,msdos1)/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64
  grub> boot
4. The system now boots and is working
5. # grub-install /dev/sda
6. # update-grub
7. Reboot the system, the system reboots and comes back just fine.

There is one small issue that I'm not sure what to attribute to. The grub selection menu that's shown when the system boots now has different colors and kind of shifted to the left of the screen so a small part of it is cut of. Different resolution perhaps? It would be nice to fix it.

Thanks