Re: Installed size information error?

On 04/27/2015 at 03:46 PM, hosack@alumni.caltech.edu wrote:

> The information on installed size does not seem to be
> correct.  On the page
> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apds02.html.en
> there is the statement:
> "A standard installation for the amd64 architecture, including all
> standard packages and using the default kernel, takes up 822MB of disk
> space."
> However following that is a table on the installed size of desktop
> environments
> stating: "Xfce	1529 Installed size in MB"
>
> How can this be correct?

By a "standard installation", I believe that page means the installation
you'll get if you select the "Standard system" task at install time, and
none of the others.

There are various other optional install tasks. You can select them
independently of one another; each one will take up its own separate
disk space, _on top of_ the space consumed by the "Standard system" task.

One of those tasks is "Desktop environment", and it has several
sub-branches - with different sizes - depending on which desktop
environment you select. Xfce is one of those sub-branches.

Most, if not all, of the available install tasks are listed in the table
you refer to; it's not limited just to desktop environments.

Directly above that table, the page says:

"Note that you will need to add the sizes listed in the table to the
size of the standard installation when determining the size of partitions."

So for an Xfce + standard-system installation, you will need 822+1536,
or 2356, MB of disk space. (Plus additional for the install process, as
is listed in other columns of that table.)

--
   The Wanderer