Re: testing or stable

On 04/27/2015 at 02:12 PM, Bret Busby wrote:

> On 28/04/2015, Joris Bolsens <epicblood@gmail.com> wrote:

>> sorry, I was under the impression that it went wheezy -> Jessie ->
>> Sid
>>

> Hello.
>
> I believe that this is part of the confusion that occurs, due to the
> use of version names for versions and status.
>
> My understanding, and, I stand to be corrected in this belief,
> follows, below.
>
> Sid = "experimental" - the name Sid is permanent for the
> experimental version, and is so named, because the character Sid, in
> Toy Story, the origin of the names of the Debian version names, was
> known for being one of those boys who delighted in breaking things,
> and, as, apparently (I have never tried the "experimental" version of
> Debian), the experimental version is one where the user has to be
> prepared for the version breaking the user's system, the name Sid
> stays permanently as the version name for the "experimental" Debian
> version.
>
> The next more stable version, is the "unstable" Debian version,
> which, I believe, has a version name, that bubbles down, as a new
> "stable" version of Debian is released.

This is incorrect.

The "experimental" repository has no codename, at least not that I know
of. It is used entirely for packages that developers want to make
available, generally for reasons related to the development process, but
don't want to put into the unstable->testing->stable cascade yet.

The "unstable" repository has the permanent codename "sid". Except the
part about for being associated with "experimental", everything you said
about sid is correct.

> The next more stable version, is the "testing" version, which, I
> understand, can be quite testing, and, has a version name, that is
> bubbled down from the "unstable" version, when a new "stable"
> version of Debian is released, and, which name, itself, bubbles down,
> when a next new "stable" version of Debian, is released.

The name of testing is not inherited from unstable, since unstable is
always sid; instead, it is chosen "from scratch" every time a new stable
release is prepared. (The name is chosen well in advance, but is not
applied to testing before the actual release date.)

Last week, testing was named jessie, and stable was named wheezy.

This week (and for the next year or two), testing is named stretch, and
stable is named jessie.

> The next more stable version, is the "stable" version, which is the
> latest "stable" version to have been released, and which has a
> version name, that is bubbled down from the "testing" version, when
> the "testing" version is released as a "stable" version, and the
> version name is bubbled down, when the next "stable" version, is
> released, and, the stable version also has a version number - I
> believe that the new "stable" version, that has been recently
> released, is Debian Linux v8.0.

This is correct.

> The next more stable version, is the "oldstable" version, which is
> the last previous "stable" version, and, which has a version name,
> that is bubbled down from the "stable" version, when a new "stable"
> version is released, and the version name is bubbled down, when a
> next new "stable" version, is released, and the "oldstable" version,
> also has a version number - I believe that the current "oldstable"
> version, is Debian Linux 7.8.

This is correct, except that "oldstable" may not be considered an active
release in some respects. There was a time when there was no
"oldstable", and I believe it's only been in the last release cycle (or
two?) that one has been made available.

> The next more stable version, is the "olderstable" (?) version,
> which is the last previous "oldstable" version, and, which has a
> version name, that is bubbled down from the "oldstable" version, when
> a new "stable" version, is released, and the version name is bubbled
> down, when the next new "stable" version is released, and the
> "olderstable" (?) version also has a version number - I believe that
> the current "olderstable" (?) version, is Debian Linux 6 LTS - the
> "LTS", is a new concept, in Debian Linux, where, I believe, Long Term
> Support is to be provided, so as to incorporate security patches, up
> until the fifth anniversary date of the release of the "olderstable"
> (?) version.

This isn't quite correct. There is a Long-Term Support project, yes, but
as far as I know it's not thought of in the terms you're describing (and
certainly not as "olderstable"); it's just people working on continuing
to provide security updates for the older, otherwise-obsolete releases.

A few days ago, it was announced on debian-news that there will be LTS
coverage for both Debian 7 (wheezy) and - when the time comes - Debian 8
(jessie). As far as I can see, nothing in the message seems to indicate
that LTS support for Debian 6 will stop; that means that there may end
up being _many_ LTS Debian releases over time, all of which would be
considered LTS.

--
   The Wanderer