Re: testing or stable

On 28/04/2015, Joris Bolsens <epicblood@gmail.com> wrote:

> sorry, I was under the impression that it went wheezy -> Jessie -> Sid

Hello.

I believe that this is part of the confusion that occurs, due to the
use of version names for versions and status.

My understanding, and, I stand to be corrected in this belief, follows, below.

Sid = "experimental" - the name Sid is permanent for the experimental
version, and is so named, because the character Sid, in Toy Story, the
origin of the names of the Debian version names, was known for being
one of those boys who delighted in breaking things, and, as,
apparently (I have never tried the "experimental" version of Debian),
the experimental version is one where the user has to be prepared for
the version breaking the user's system, the name Sid stays permanently
as the version name for the "experimental" Debian version.

The next more stable version, is the "unstable" Debian version, which,
I believe, has a version name, that bubbles down, as a new "stable"
version of Debian is released.

The next more stable version, is the "testing" version, which, I
understand, can be quite testing, and, has a version name, that is
bubbled down from the "unstable" version, when a new "stable" version
of Debian is released, and, which name, itself, bubbles down, when a
next new "stable" version of Debian, is released.

The next more stable version, is the "stable" version, which is the
latest "stable" version to have been released, and which has a version
name, that is bubbled down from the "testing" version, when the
"testing" version is released as a "stable" version, and the version
name is bubbled down, when the next "stable" version, is released,
and, the stable version also has a version number - I believe that the
new "stable" version, that has been recently released, is Debian Linux
v8.0.

The next more stable version, is the "oldstable" version, which is the
last previous "stable" version, and, which has a version name, that is
bubbled down from the "stable" version, when a new "stable" version is
released, and the version name is bubbled down, when a next new
"stable" version, is released, and the "oldstable" version, also has a
version number - I believe that the current "oldstable" version, is
Debian Linux 7.8.

The next more stable version, is the "olderstable" (?) version, which
is the last previous "oldstable" version, and, which has a version
name, that is bubbled down from the "oldstable" version, when a new
"stable" version, is released, and the version name is bubbled down,
when the next new "stable" version is released, and the "olderstable"
(?) version also has a version number - I believe that the current
"olderstable" (?) version, is Debian Linux 6 LTS - the "LTS", is a new
concept, in Debian Linux, where, I believe, Long Term Support is to be
provided, so as to incorporate security patches, up until the fifth
anniversary date of the release of the "olderstable" (?) version.

I hope that I have got that correct, and that that adequately explains
the naming system for the different Debian Linux versions.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."