Re: Update-Manager has fubar entry, can't find from description given

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 07:37:26AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> Update-manager's little triangular icon won't go away.  If I can
> copy/paste its output:
>
> But I cannot do anything except a screenshot. Why do the gui writers
> saddle us with such broken software?

Any number of reasons, but it boils down to a combination of "no-one has
complained loud enough" and "we wrote enough to get it to work for MOST
people".

I believe the most sensible thing is for the graphical toolkit to
provide this functionality - in the same way that Microsoft Windows'
standard dialogs can be "copied" which results in a standardised
text-rendering of the dialog going to the clipboard. That way, all
widgets derived from the toolkit gain the functionality but, of course,
any application-specific widgets would need to re-implement it.

> In any event, the error msg says a subdir of wheezy seems to be missing,
> but that subdir path is a generated path, and does NOT exist in a
> grep -R "Updates/Binary-i386/Packages * output done in /etc/apt.
>
> By experimenting and reloading, it appears this entry may be the bad one:
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy contrib non-free main
> updates

Assuming that this is all on one line, "updates" is a bogus keyword. You
probably want something like:

 deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
 deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib