Re: Laptop automatically sleeps on lid close in Jessie

----- Original Message -----
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Sent: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 03:03:35 +1000 (EST)
Subject: Re: Laptop automatically sleeps on lid close in Jessie

* On 2015 26 Apr 11:58 -0500, Peter Ley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently upgraded to Jessie to fix another problem I posted about on
> the list, and it went swimmingly (much to my relief as I'd never
> performed a dist-upgrade before).
>
> Now when I close my laptop lid, it automatically goes to sleep, which
> would be fine except it has never been able to recover from sleep. It
> didn't do this until I upgraded. I tried removing the pm-utils package
> which had been left over from last time I tried to get sleep working,
> but it still does it. How do I stop this behavior?

It's integral to systemd now and enabled or disabled in
/etc/systemd/logind.conf.  Uncomment and set the key
HandleLidSwitch=ignore (default is suspend).

> Alternatively, I would appreciate some advice for properly
> testing/configuring suspend for my hardware. Last time I tried, I
> remember playing with the config haphazardly for about an hour before
> giving up. I have an IBM Thinkpad T42.

I've not had problems using Xfce's UI for handling these events once the
above was done on T42, T60, T410.  Make sure the ibmacpi package is
installed.

HTH,

- Nate

HandleLidSwitch=ignore

Works for me on a Dell laptop but doesn't work for me on an old Toshiba laptop.

On the Toshiba  the above or leaving it as default has the system go into hibernation every few minutes if the lid has been closed. I have to do:

LIDSWITCHIGNOREINHIBITED=no [default on both machines is yes]

Then it works as ignore.

Hope that helps someone else.
Charlie

--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	Readers are plentiful; thinkers are rare......Harriet Martineau