Re: fsck.mode=force no longer working in testing?

On 04/26/2015 04:57 PM, David Wright wrote:
Quoting Jape Person (japers@comcast.net):

Can anyone test to see if fsck.mode=force is still working on their
Jessie / testing systems? If so, I must have done something to all
four of my testing systems to screw things up. And, if
fsck.mode=force has stopped working, I wonder what broke it.

BTW, my systems are "testing" in the sense that I use "testing" in
/etc/apt/source.list instead of the release name. So I guess I'm on
Stretch now.

Fully fscking root seems to have ceased some time since 2 April.
fsck.mode=force and /forcefsck both still function (with the same
slap on the wrist from the latter) but only for non-root filesystems.
(I assume your fsck.mode=fsck was a typo.)

Yup, typo is me! I meant "fsck.mode=force", not "fsck.mode=fsck".

And, yes, only using the tune2fs trick gets me a full fsck on the boot partition.

/var/log/fsck/check{fs,root} only seems to get written by wheezy.

I get similar-looking files as you do from systemctl. The only thing I
didn't see you mention was an empty file /run/initramfs/fsck-root
alongside fsck.log

I'm running jessie upgraded from wheezy, itself from squeeze. I shall
be reinstalling jessie soon, now that it's "stable", to see if I can
cure other problems. This will recreate this root partition as ext4.

Cheers,
David.

Yes, I noticed the empty /run/initramfs/fsck-root file. I didn't pay it any attention because I already knew that the fsck.log file should contain the output from fsck. At least that's my understanding of it, and how it has been working. And it's where the output goes when I use tune2fs to force fsck to run on the boot partition.

Regards,
JP