Re: reading an empty directory after reboot is very slow

Quoting Vincent Lefevre (vincent@vinc17.net):
> On 2015-04-24 22:01:37 -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > Quoting Vincent Lefevre (vincent@vinc17.net):
> > > So, I would say that this is a bug. POSIX says in
> > > http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/readdir.html
> >
> > It may well be. But I'm just presenting facts about the
> > filesystems that I assumed you were using when you posted
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/04/msg00651.html ,
> > not the theory of a POSIX-compliant system.
>
> What's important when designing a file system is what should happen,
> not what actually happens.

Yes, but I don't design filesystems. I use them.

> In case of bugs, anything can happen, so
> that's not interesting at all.

Au contraire mon frère, they're very important as you have to live
with them and work around them. Being interested in them depends on
ones background, of course. Mine was in writing robust and reliable
real-time programs that couldn't afford to trip over known bugs, both
hardware and software.

Having glanced at pages on extN filesystems and POSIX-compliance, I
can see lots of discussion between people interested in the problem of
file-renaming and its interaction with crashes. Obviously there are
two major aspects here; what to change in the filesystem design (and
even in the POSIX specifications to prevent problems), and what to do
to ameliorate the problems. As a real-time programmer, I would only be
interested in the latter.

Cheers,
David.