Re: non-stable packages infestation

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 2:22 AM, Teresa e Junior
<teresaejunior@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 19:16:24 -0400, Kynn Jones wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 6:39 PM, Teresa e Junior
>> <teresaejunior@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If you disable a repository, its packages will appear as if they were
>>> locally installed (/var/lib/dpkg/status).
>>

>> Thanks, that's good to know.  I did disable a repo I'd used for
>> backports, but replaced with another (I was not being able to connect
>> reliably to the first one).
>
> Backports may be related too, but your sudo example is from wheezy security,
> see https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=sudo

I see your point, and I must confess I'm a bit puzzled.

My policy is to always have security.debian.org enabled in my
sources.list, so I'm at a loss to explain how the `apt-cache policy`
output I posted happened.  The evidence you point to, though, is
pretty clear, so I stand corrected.

Thanks, BTW, for showing me another way to find out where an installed
package comes from.  Recently I've had quite a few situations in which
that bit of know-how would have been handy, but it didn't occur to me.

>> I'm considering going back to apt, even though most of the advice I've
>> read on apt vs aptitude leans in favor of the latter.  After this
>> experience, I've lost trust in aptitude.

> Probably old advice, apt is the most recommended nowadays.

Good to know.

Thanks for all your help!

kj