Re: boot-time messages, /init touch not found

On 04/25/2015 at 02:50 PM, songbird wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> songbird wrote:

>>> doesn't work for me, hmm:
>>>
>>> # gunzip - < /boot/initrd.img-3.18.0-trunk-686-pae | cpio -i
>>>
>>> gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
>>
>> What does
>>
>> file /boot/initrd.img-3.18.0-trunk-686-pae
>>
>> report?
>
> /boot/initrd.img-3.18.0-trunk-686-pae: ASCII cpio archive (SVR4 with
> no CRC)

So it's not compressed at all.

Try

cpio -i < /boot/initrd.img-3.18.0-trunk-686-pae

to expand it (again, from within an _empty_ directory).

>> Your initramfs may be compressed using a different tool, or may
>> even not be compressed at all. Depending on exactly what the
>> situation is, you may need to use one of several different
>> commands, not all of which can be easily substituted into the above
>> without changing syntax.
>
> yes, i do understand that.  :)
>

> COMPRESS=gzip in the config file for initramfs-tools.

In that case, it's very strange that your initramfs does not appear to
be gzip-compressed. (The more so since gzip is allegedly the default,
even if no compression is specified.)

What's the timestamp on this file, as reported by 'ls -l' or similar?

If you 'update-initramfs -u -k all', does this file get updated? If so,
is it still uncompressed afterwards?

> hmm...
>
> using version 0.120 (testing).

That's what I have installed, and the initrd.img for my currently active
kernel - which is gzipped - was last updated on the 19th.

--
   The Wanderer