Re: Can't redirect stout and stderr

On Saturday 25 April 2015 03:53:23 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> My old pc has corrupt filesystem problems,

Then it is quite likely that the drive has been auto-remounted read-only.

> and, in order to ask the
> present list some help about that, I need to store to a file the
> output of `update-grub', both stdout and stderr, but don't manage to
> even using any of the solutions suggested wherever I could find them:
> nor `update-grub > file' nor `update-grub &> file' neither
> `update-grub > file 2&1'.

So you will have to generate the record file by sending
the 2>&1 >file_in_usb_key, which will itself probably fail because you
cannot write to that drive but you will have a log left on the key that
hopefully defines the reason it failed.  Reading between the lines here,
making that recording is the lessor of your problems, the drive is dying
is probably the real problem.

I would Drive/Run, don't walk to the neaest place that sells new drives,
get one and reinstall on it, then copy as much of your data as can be
read to the new drive. That one, by going read-only, will likely keep on
doing it even if an e2fsck fixes it for a read/write remount.  I have a
drive here that is doing exactly that, but is still (ANAICT)100%
readable. fsck it, reboot, and by the time its rebooted its logging the
boot has remounted it read-only again.

> Please help!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Rodolfo