Re: nfs problems

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 23:54:45 -0600
Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> > however the client side mount commands are apparently wrong because
> > I get this:
> >
> > mount.nfs4: mounting server:/nfs4exports/home/user1 failed, reason given by server:
> >   No such file or directory
> >
> > and as usual the error message is completely unhelpful because
> > /nfs4exports/home/user1 most certainly DOES exist on the server.
>
> Hmm...  Guessing...  What is in /etc/exports?  'exportfs -a'?  What
> does 'showmount -e' show?
>
> Bob

well that was quite newbie of me to not provide exportfs wasn't it ?

i did finally get things working :

  exportfs

  /home/user1 192.168.1.1/24(rw,root_squash,insecure,anonuid=501,anongid=501,async,no_subtree_check)

and then

  /etc/fstab

  server:/home/user1  /mnt/home/user1   nfs4      rw,hard,intr  0     0

and finally

  sudo mount /mnt/home/user1

now works.  I'm sure I had a mismatch between all of the files in terms of path somehow, but i never really did figure out what i did wrong.

i'm not sure what the point of using:

  /home /nfs4exports/home none bind 0 0

as a mount point is.  Seems like using that provided some way to simplify the set-up.  or maybe it is simplifying the set-up and i just don't realize it.

Brian