Re: reading an empty directory after reboot is very slow

On 2015-04-20 18:03:01 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > With an uncompressed mbox file, using the Content-Length, it could be
> > faster, but there's still the problem with individual changes.
>
> Have you run across Jamie Zawinski's rant against Content-Length?
>
>   http://www.jwz.org/doc/content-length.html

Mutt handles it safely. First it can detect an incorrect value (unless
one has very bad luck), and ignore it in such a case. Anyway, on my
machines, messages are copied to an mbox mailbox only by Mutt, and
Mutt makes sure that the Content-Length value is correct. Any I would
never use the mbox format for an incoming mailbox.