Re: I need guidance about how to configure a newly installed Jessie

Quoting Paul E Condon (pecondon@mesanetworks.net):
> RC2 netinst created an /etc/hosts with only two lines:
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> 127.0.1.1       big.lan.gnu     big

I would have expected the following to have been included:

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

but they shouldn't affect what you're currently doing.

> Big and lan.gnu are names that I gave it to use for local host
> and local lan. As part of my completing the config. I added the lines
> that had been in /etc/hosts before doing the netinst, and are in
> the /etc/hosts file on the other computers.

It's not clear to me when you did this "completing the config". During
the installation or after rebooting? If the former, did you add the
lines to /etc/hosts or /target/etc/hosts? The former evaporates;
only the latter is preserved, becoming the real /etc/hosts.

> And I remember from years
> of use, carefully preserving /etc/hosts during previous netinst episodes.

Same here: I append a file called hosts-append which has all the hosts
in the household, computers, printers, TVs and roku boxes.

> At first I thought I had done something wrong because it wasn't working,
> but now I'm convinced something is definitely different. I have never
> before seen messages about 'no path to host' unless I had unplugged a
> cable, and never before messages about refusing a connection.
>
> The behovior is as if a new layer ot security has been introduced in order
> to protect against a new kind of threat, but with no announcement or how
> the user should deal with it, the threat, and it the countermeasure..

>From what I've read, it seems to me that something unexpected
happened, like the allocation of the wrong IP number to a host during
reinstallation, and the knock-on effects have disturbed a number of
configuration changes you made a long time ago and which you have
almost forgotten making (like passwordless login).

As I said before, do the current IP numbers of your computers match
what you think they ought to be (ie as in your preserved /etc/hosts)?
Sort that out first.

$ ssh foo@192.168.1.22
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.22 port 22: No route to host
$

(I have no host on 22.)

/etc/hosts is your responsibility (ie like fstab) so if it's wrong,
just correct it and reboot.

> At this late date, I think this won't be resolved until after official
> release.

If your sources.list has "jessie" not "testing", then you should see
little or no effect on "flag day".

Cheers,
David.