Re: Debian 7 and external monitors and graphics adaptors

On 16/04/2015, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 15:21:46 +0800
> Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 16/04/2015, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:

>> > I *seriously* doubt that the CPU has anything to do with it. It will
>> > either run x86 code (ie Debian/Ubuntu) or it won't. This is more
>> > likely a problem with the GPU driver, or the way X is set up.
>> >
>> > What output do you get from "xrandr" when you have booted the
>> > machine with the monitor connected?
>> >

>> In Ubuntu 14.04 LTS;
>>
>> "
>> bret@bret-Aspire-E5-521:~$ xrandr
>> xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
>> Screen 0: minimum 1366 x 768, current 1366 x 768, maximum 1366 x 768
>> default connected primary 1366x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
>>    1366x768       76.0*
>> "
>>
>> In Debian 7;
>>
>> "
>> bret@debian-Acer-E5-521:~$ xrandr
>> xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
>> Screen 0: minimum 1366 x 768, current 1368 x 768, maximum 1368 x 768
>> default connected 1368x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
>>    1366x768        0.0
>>    1368x768        0.0*
>> "
>
> So X can only see one screen. I take it this is a laptop, and the
> screen X sees here is the internal screen? How is the other screen
> connected - HDMI, DVI, D-SUB, DP? I will see if I can get the time
> later today to read through all your previous messages on this and see
> what the outputs you have posted can tell me, right now the only thing
> I can think of is to try the AMD fglrx driver if you haven't already.
>
> If the GPU in your machine is a newer model, that might help. I would
> suggest you do a web search on the GPU model number, "radeon" and
> "second display" (all in one string), and see what you come up with -
> maybe the problem is a common one.
>
> Petter
>
> --
> "I'm ionized"
> "Are you sure?"
> "I'm positive."

the computer is an Acer E5-521-238Q laptop computer. The only screen
found by Linux (both Debian 7 and Ubuntu 14.04LTS) is the laptop
screen. The external monitor is a Dell ST2310, connected via HDMI.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."