Re: Debian 7 and external monitors and graphics adaptors

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 14:46:46 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14/04/2015, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> <snip>
>

> > In the Debian 7 installation on the Acer V3-772G, for
> > System -> Settings -> Details -> Overview, it has
> >
> > "
> > Processor: Intel Core i&-4702MQ CPU @ 2.20GHz x 8
> > Graphics: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x209)
> > "
> >
> > and, for
> >
> > System -> Settings -> Details -> Graphics, it has
> >
> > "
> > Driver: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x209)
> > Experience: Fallback
> > "
> >

> I note that, having just installed (and presently updating) Ubuntu
> 14.04LTS, on the Acer E5-521-238Q, the same graphics drive shows as
> being used, as for Debian 7 on the Acer V3772G;
>
> from System Settings -> Hardware -> Overview, I have
>
> "
> Processor: AMD E2-6110 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics x4
> Graphics: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits)
> "
>
> and the external monitor does not work with either Debian 7 or Ubuntu
> 14.04LTS.
>
> So, whilst the Ubuntu web site shows the CPU to be certified as
> compatible  - at
> http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog/component/dmi/4365/dmi%3AAMDE2-6110APUwithAMDRadeonR2Graphics/
>
> it appears to me, that both Debian 7 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, do not
> really have an adequate driver for that CPU ("Processor: AMD E2-6110
> APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics x4), as they both can not drive an
> external monitor through it.

I *seriously* doubt that the CPU has anything to do with it. It will
either run x86 code (ie Debian/Ubuntu) or it won't. This is more likely
a problem with the GPU driver, or the way X is set up.

What output do you get from "xrandr" when you have booted the machine
with the monitor connected?

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"