Re: reading an empty directory after reboot is very slow

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015, at 14:52, Doug wrote:

> What is the best way of solving this? Since the directory is empty, can you
> just do an rmdir dirname ? Now if there are one or two files in it, will it
> shrink the directory to fit them, as I think you are saying? If not, then
> how?

1. Switch to XFS, it is reported to auto-shrink directories automatically

or

2. unmount filesystem and run e2fsck -D on it every so often.

or

3.  suppose foo is the directory in need of shrinking, and that newfoo doesn't exist:

    "mkdir newfoo && cp -alr foo/. newfoo/. && mv foo oldfoo && mv newfoo foo && rm -fr oldfoo" at a time nothing is using "foo".

there are other possible solutions to the problem, of course.

  Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org>