Re: apt stuck at "Reading database"

On 04/13/2015 11:10 AM, Curt wrote:
On 2015-04-13, Jape Person <japers@comcast.net> wrote:

IIRC apt-listbugs or apt-listchanges (or both) don't work without the
deb-src entries in /etc/apt/sources.list. I think these are tools that

They don't?  Is that documented somewhere?

Not that I can find. I remembered having to restore the deb-src lines after someone on this list (IIRC) suggesting doing that when I lost my ability to see changelogs for upgradable files from within the aptitude TUI. Restoring those deb-src lines did restore the ability to see the changelogs in aptitude. I'm pretty sure my memory on this is correct.

I'm wondering if it was a bug in aptitude.

I'll try to do some research to find out whether or not this is simply some confabulation / conflation created solely by my tiny mind.

;-)

Debian users should be encouraged to use. At the least they provide a
bit of a heads-up to the unwary during installations and upgrades.

I used apt-listbugs when I ran testing to avoid unpleasant surprises
(you just hold off on upgrading a day or two, and the surprise usually
goes away of its own accord).

For stable I don't see the point.

But I do get your point.

Depends what flavor (stable, testing, experiemental) of Debian
you're running, IMHO.