Re: debian 8

On Saturday 11 April 2015 06:18:25 Curt wrote:
> On 2015-04-10, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> > unwittingly and unwillingly, running the application, thus, as it
> > stands, the application is a trojan horse.
>
> Is this hyperbole (hyper hyper), or do you really believe what you're
> saying?

Be carefull who you are calling delusional.  I am with Bret on this one.
IMO, such an application should be both easy (its not) to find in the
system menu's, AND when found, should first show you the existing
settings before it changes anything, so the user if happy with what he
sees, can exit the utility WITHOUT that utility issueing a refresh write
of its own. The wheezy version apparently isn't capable of that totally
benign operation when I see the main drive led blink everytime its
exited.

While you may personally think its ok, I have first hand experience with
the stuff.  Wheezy has a wild pointer someplace that nullifies ones
screensaver and power saver settings, typically withion 30 hours of the
last settings.

My solution to this is a cron job, that using xset, refreshes the desired
time settings at a slightly off the hour schedule every hour.  I have no
clue why I should have to deal with this, but if I shut it off right
now, I will get up Monday morning to find the monitor has been up at
full brightness and power all night.

Looks something like this

xset +dpms
xset dpms time time time.