Re: Video Compression

Thomas H. George:

> I need an beginer's guide to video compression. The man page for ffmpeg
> is daunting and I can find no explanations of the tools in libav-tools

The whole topic _is_ daunting. The best tool is HandBrake, available in
wheezy-backports and testing/sid.

> I have short avi HD video clips, 1280x720@30fps, which I would like to
> compress to a size suitable for email attachments. The largest is 196 M,
> most are about 90 M.

The easiest way to reduce file size is to lower the resolution. If you
can live with 640x360 you almost automatically end up at a quarter of
the original size. Using h.264 with aggressive options might help as
well.

J.
--
In public I try to remain calm and to appear perceptive.
[Agree]   [Disagree]