Re: Debian wheezy on Dell 7535

Hello everyone..thank you all for your help and sorry for late reply.
I want to inform you that the problems that I was having have been solved.

>No Sound

I have two sound cards on my laptop:

0 [HDMI  ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI  HDA Intel HDMI at 0xe3610000 irq 64
1 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH  HDA Intel PCH at 0xe3614000 irq 62

What was happening was that the HDMI was being selected by default.

I then installed pavucontrol and from there I could select the correct device and the problem was solved.

>No Screen brightness control

This problem was solved by installing the backport kernel 3.16:

apt-get -t wheezy-backports install linux-image-amd64

(Don't forget to add the backport repo to sources.list for e.g: deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-backports main non-free contrib
and run apt-get update)

>No Wifi

This problem was solved as installing the backport wifi firmware:

apt-get -t wheezy-backports install firmware-iwlwifi

Best Regards,

Dwijesh

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 3:44 PM, Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 05:55:14PM -0400, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> With so much still to learn, I didn't think I had ALSA installed.
> Turned out what he did know'd was..... I did so, too, have ALSA
> installed on my system else pavucontrol would (apparently) not have
> worked.

No, pavucontrol is only used to control pulseaudio.
See alsamixer.

> Found out fairly easily back then that ALSA was, yes, in my system,
> but I sure struggled to duplicate the same effort today. It's there.
> Best as I can tell, ALSA's functionality was initially installed at
> least in part as packages libasound2-data and libasound2. Xfce4 gets
> the k/t for that default action occurring as part of its own install
> (this past week again).

See the packages alsa-base and alsa-utils

> That's why it was a no-brainer it would be *safe* to pose pavucontrol
> as a potential alternative *_CHOICE_* for any conversation that
> includes the words "- No Sound". :)

*If* they have pulseaudio installed.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X