Re: sshfs: problem with rsync

On Tue, 7 Apr 2015, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

I don't understand what you mean here. One generally uses rsync with
the local ssh client (which connects to the remote server), i.e. the
typical use is with something like:

 rsync --rsh=ssh

or equivalently

 rsync -e ssh

   I already tried that, but as I always used rsync on Unix machines, I
   never noticed that it needs to be installed on both local and remote sides.
   Installing an rsync appli on Android is not really straightforward. As
   the available memory is not so big, and as I don't really need it, I'll
   not intall it and continue to use sshfs.

With sshfs, you don't need a remote rsync because the rsync
synchronization is entirely done on the local side (sshfs does
the additional transfer to the remote side), but unless sshfs
has rsync like optimizations (I doubt), it will be much slower
because it will have to copy the whole files and not just the
changes. I've never compared, though.

  I thought that copying to a mounted file system is equivalent to copying
  on a local one, so that rsync worked the same way in both cases.
  I'll check that when I have some time.

best regards,
--
Pierre Frenkiel