Re: Debian and FQDN lookup

On 2015-04-04 10:02:22 +0100, Joe wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 20:39:26 -0500
> David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> > I think I/we ought to be using .local
> > http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6762
> > because this won't get onto the Internet.
>
> Really? I've seen an Exchange Server refuse mail from a BT server

for this connection, the "BT server" is actually the client.

> because the latter identified itself with .local as tld in the HELO.
> BT knows nothing about email.

I doubt this has anything to do with BT. MTA's will generally provide
the FQDN as the HELO name (as described in the corresponding RFC), and
if the FQDN has been chosen to end with .local then you'll get that in
the HELO. Anyway the HELO should really be ignored in practice as it
provides no useful information for the recipient.