Re: Debian and FQDN lookup

On Fri 03 Apr 2015 at 14:29:49 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Brian wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > The debian-installer will set things up right with an entry such as
> > > this one.
> > >
> > >   127.0.1.1 foo.example.com foo
> >
> > If 'Domain name' is blank you get '127.0.1.1 foo'.
>
> Ah, yes, I had left that out.  We had discussed that point in a
> previous email.  However I don't think the domain should be left blank
> for the installer.  Certainly not for an email server.
>
> One of these days we should get together and create or update a
> documentation page with all of the information on this topic all in
> one place.  :-)  But there is already the fine Debian Reference
> maintained by Osamu Aoki.  All it takes is time and that seems in less
> supply every day.

Every time I use d-i in expert mode I wonder what other people make of
it. I was puzzled by it the very first time and even now think it is one
of the most difficult fields to fill in because the background knowledge
needed isn't immediately as apparent as it is with language or location,
say. The installation manual is really of no help as it has little
commentary on its significance,

As an example, let us suppose your ISP in the UK is talktalk.co.uk. You
put this as your domain name because that is all you can think of. After
all, it is in your email address and you do not have your own domain.
Your hostname is copernicus. So your canonical hostname becomes
copernicus.bt.com, which doen't exist and doesn't resolve. Now - what
harm is done? Leaving the field blank often gets you what your router
provides; copernicus.lan in my case.

The Debian Reference doesn't appear to have anything to say about domain
name either.