Re: firefox-37, where to put

On Thursday 02 April 2015 07:23:58 Christian Schmidt wrote:
> On 02.04.2015 04:54, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Iceweasel commited suicide when I was asked by my bank to delete its
> > history, so now all I get is a blank terminal screen that is using
> > 100% of a cpu core until I kill it as root.  A total purge and
> > reinstall didn't fix it.
>
> Did you remember to move your Iceweasel preferences out of the way?
> Look at the "dotfolders" in your home directory and rename the
> corresponding one (e.g. .mozilla) to something different and try
> launching Iceweasel again.
>
> Regards,
> Christian

No I didn't Christian. But when I was awakened by the phone at 3:55 am by
some AH that left no trace on the phone system, just let it ring and
hung up 50 milliseconds before the answering machine kicked in. I came
in here, and iceweasel was on screen and had apparently recovered.  With
all my prefs and passwds intact.  I didn't launch it & the only other
person in this house wouldn't know how!

Is this where we drag out that now ancient Sir Arther C. Clark quote
about any sufficiently advanced technology is indestinguishable from
magic?

Call me puzzled.

One other question, there is a command to make alsamixer save its current
settings but I've not needed it in years, so I've forgotten it. I had to
run the mixer and reenable master after I'd rebooted.

I'll see what the man page has to say.

Thanks Christian.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)