Re: Jessie: NIS breaks network ??

Joao Roscoe wrote:
> I'm preparing a new jessie box (test system, preparing for deploying as
> soon as it gets into stable).

Jessie implies that you are using default that I cannot name for fear
of starting a flamewar.  But it hasn't been heavily tested in
conjuction with NIS/yp.

> Installed the base system, with kde and gnome, and included a small script
> in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d to set hostname and hosts files with
> info from DHCP. Worked nicely.

I have worked in an environment that dynamically set the hostname
based upon dhcp name.  That was quite the nightmare in many ways
because machine dhcp239 would report a failing component.  Where is
it?  What does it do?  Who's system is it?  Things were much better
after the dynamic naming was abandoned and static naming was resumed.
I avoid dynamically named systems except in special circumstances.
Although that is not your current problem.  Obviously you like it that
way or you wouldn't have done it that way.

The problems with NetworkManager are legion.  I always remove
NetworkManager from my systems.  That improves the reliability of the
networking on my systems.  That by itself will likely fix your system
so that networking starts reliably.  But on your systems it would
likely not be easily possible.  Therefore for you I recommend simply
configuring it off and avoid it that way.

> So, I installed NIS, and except for a small delay everything was still ok.
> ypwhich returned one of NIS servers (it took about two seconds, but
> succeeded). Restarted autofs, and all filesystems came up nicely. System
> was fast and responsive.

I am a long time user and admin for sites using NIS/yp, autofs, nis
groups, and other things in that space.  The way I configure those
systems is with /etc/network/interfaces for networking.  Depending
upon the system it is either dhcp or static and either works fine.
The interfaces are required to be up for the system and are therefore
marked with "auto" which is synchronous boot time configuration
instead of "allow-hotplug" which is hotplugged event driven.  The
"auto" instead of "allow-hotplug" is important for nis/yp as the
networking must be up and online all of the time for it to operate.
Hotplugged networking and nis/yp is not a good combination.  I am also
not using that other default which shall not be named.

> Then, I rebooted the box, and now It won't bring eth0 up anymore. Tried
> removing NIS, and networking got back to normal.
>
> Could not understand the situation, so far.
> Any hints?

I would reconfigure /etc/network/interfaces for "auto" and restart.
Once an interface is configured in /e/n/interfaces then NetworkManager
should ignore that interface from then on.  I am hoping that will be
enough to solve your issue.

Since you are using NetworkManager I presume you want it and therefore
hopefully someone else using NIS/yp with NetworkManager will have
specific recommendations for that combination.  I fear that
combination is not very popularly used in the field.

Bob