Re: After upgrade to jessie usb keyboard multimedia keys stopped working

Petter Adsen wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 19:38:14 +0200
> deloptes <deloptes@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Petter Adsen wrote:
>>
>> > xev -event keyboard
>>
>> No they do not - any idea what direction I should dig.
>
> Do you use a DE or a WM? Which one?

I use trinity KDE3 that is now TDE r14

>> I see this in the Xorg.0.log
>>
>> [143241.089] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
>
> That's OK.
>
>> [143241.089] (**) Option "xkb_model" "a4techKB21"
>
> Is that what you actually have, ie is that the actual model of
> keyboard that you use? If not, I would set it to "pc104" for a US
> keyboard, or "pc105" for an international keyboard. Those are the
> "Generic 104-key PC" and "Generic 105-key (Intl) PC", respectively. I
> am not sure if that will help, since the multimedia keys don't register
> with xev, but it might be worth a shot. Just a guess on my part, though.

Th fact is that it should have been there I guess - I already tried 105key
and latitude but no success. when searching in google on "a4techKB21" I
found this http://osdir.com/ml/debian-bugs-dist/2011-05/msg00724.html

which is pretty similar to my problem and what I see in the Xorg log file

> Take a look at "man setxkbmap" for the gritty details.
>
>> [143241.089] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us,de,bg"
>> [143241.089] (**) Option "xkb_options" "compose:rwin,grp_led:scroll"
>
> I assume these are what you have chosen, and they should have no effect
> on which keys register.

Yes this is correct I played with some combinations of following

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
#       Driver      "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard1"
#       Driver      "kbd"
        Driver      "evdev"
        Option       "XkbModel"     "pc105"
EndSection

>> so where is this model coming from? and is this the correct one? But
>> how was it working in wheezy - did it change in the background?
>
> Well, *something* must have changed, since it's not working :) Did you
> do an in-place upgrade, or did you reinstall?

in-place I did never have to reinstall. I upgraded to jessie because I
switched the notebook. The old one was already for 8y in my service. But X
in wheezy seem not to support the newer intel HD, so dilemma compile X+
packages or upgrade.
I think this should be some bug or lack of proper mapping/setting the
keyboard. This one is cheep ISY IKE 3100 USB Multimedia Keyboard, but the
bug mentioned above describes wrong configuration because detecting a power
key, which I see in the log.
The MM keys work on the latitude board and they were working in the previous
version of debian for sure.

So thank you anyway for the time! it looks like it will take some time to
fix it, though it is annoying, because I use the computer to play music, or
watch tv in the free time and it is pretty handy to control the volume via
the external keyboard.

> I'm sorry I can't help more, but I don't have a deep understanding of
> how X handles keyboard input.
>
> Good luck, though.
>
> Petter

As I'm pretty busy with business and a 2y old funny little furry so I
decided to ask the community before taking the trip into the darkest secret
places of this part of linux and X ... I never had to, but it is also never
too late.

Thank again - if I find the solution I'll update for the sake of truth and
completeness

regards