Re: create /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Hello,

> On my NFS diskless client the 70-persistent-net.rules *is* created and
> updated when booting.  Therefore your strategy would work in my
> environment.  In my diskless boot environment my
> 70-persistent-net.rules file would grow and grow and grow as I booted
> different hardware if I didn't actively prune it.
>
> Therefore I ask, why doesn't it get created in your NFS boot environment?

I do not know. I once debootstrapped an older Debian release into a
directory on the nfs server, added some packages, updated the whole thing
to jessie some days ago and then netbooted the client.

> Are you actively preventing it from being created?

Not by intention.

> Other related ideas: After you have PXE booted your NFS diskless
> client you will know the ethernet address of your network device.
> That would allow you to differentiate the different NICs from each
> other later.  Read through the /lib/udev/write_net_rules script and
> see how you can drive it as you desire.

I know how to create 70-persistent-net.rules manually, but the thing is
that this has to work for about 250 computers, so I cannot do it by hand.

Regards
  Christoph