Re: create /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 04:46:44PM +0100, Christoph Pleger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to boot a computer from network by PXE, with an NFS filesystem as
> root fs, install a basic system on the local disk and then boot the
> computer from the disk. After booting from disk, the names of the network
> interfaces should be the same as before with the NFS root. So, I thought
> that I can simply copy /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules from my
> NFS root into the directory ${TARGET}//etc/udev/rules.d/, where $TARGET
> becomes / later on the local disk. But unfortunately, that file is not
> created when booting from network, so it cannot be copied. Therefore, I
> wanted the file to be created later and found the following solution,
> which worked on a computer where I had deleted
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules before, for that:
>
> for file in /sys/class/net/*/uevent; do
>   echo add > $file
> done
>
> But on the computer with NFS as root fs, this also did not work. Does
> somebody have a suggestion how I can still let the file be created?

Not quite what you're asking for, but on my own diskless client, I
switched to dracat for the initrd (because it supports NFSv4). With
that, I can add interface names to the kernel command line like:

 BOOT_IMAGE=vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img rw root=nfs4:hostname:/nfsroot
   ifname=bootnet:00:01:02:03:04:05 ifname=dmz:00:01:02:03:04:06
   ip=bootnet:dhcp

(So you add ifname=, then the name you want to give the interface, then
a colon and then the MAC address of that interface)