Re: Cool things to do with server

On 03/15/2015 02:26 PM, Joris Bolsens wrote:

You could give Proxmox a whirl!! Then install Turnkey Linux containers
to it. I'm a perfect idiot and had containers like Wordpress and
Owncloud running in no time. Since proxmox is headless, you need a
machine on the same localnet to ssh in to admin Proxmox. Then you admin
it through your browser with an https interface to load the containers.
Way cool. Ric
http://www.turnkeylinux.org/
https://www.proxmox.com/

Does turnkey do something or have some feature that docker does not?
seems pretty similar from just looking at the website.

Also I don't have physical access to the server, its a virtual server in
a data center near me so I don't think I can install that :/

Turnkey provides several hundred containers. Check them out at that link. Proxmox installs the manager (like Docker) so you ~usually~ would need access to the physical iron to install from scratch. It does use Debian Wheezy, so you might get by installing their apt/sources.list entries and try that. I haven't tried that method yet. Proxmox has been around for quite some time and it has devoted users. You can pay for support or use their beta program and have it for free. It is open source and GPL'd. After the install, it is admin'd remotely either with ssh directly or with an https front-end. It will run handily from one machine or a cluster of a thousand. The people who really dig down into it's innards are doing things like snapshots of ram. That stuff goes by me in both lanes. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html